Home » Reflecting on Papers 1 & 2

Reflecting on Papers 1 & 2

l

Reflectin on Paper 1:

During my writing process for this paper, I was confused at first because I felt like I believed in everything I have believed n before. Then I remembered I could’ve spoken. about Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, horror stories, but I didn’t want to say a basic story. I remembered there’s was one thing that changed in my life where I no longer believed in something which impacted me greatest. This belief was the citizenship of my parents. During this paper, I didn’t know how to describe this as a belief because it’s not imaginary or a fantasy, it was a reality that I just wouldn’t notice as I believed otherwise. When writing this I made sure I used descriptive language, imagery, and repetition. I used descriptive language so that the reader would understand my feelings and the situations I was going through as I came to the realization and truth that my parents weren’t citizens and couldn’t travel out of this country or go on vacations with me. The hardest part of this story was that it wasn’t just my parents, it was my brother as well although he has DACA. I wanted the reader to imagine what I went through and how I went through it. I was very descriptive when I described the time I found out the truth and my belief was no longer exists. I also made sure I was repetitive with my disbelief so the reader can be clear about it. 

Something I learned about myself was that there have been several disbeliefs in my life that have impacted me greatly. I also learned many things about my writing such as style and vocabulary. I feel like I was good at using descriptive language but my imagery could’ve been better. Although I use descriptive language I think it’s different from imagery because in imagery I have to actually have the reader imagine themselves in my situation and I could’ve been more descriptive by saying what I was doing in some moments or what I wore or the time of day it was, the weather and relate them all to the main idea. 

There are a few things I could’ve done better with my structure and writing, but one major thing I wish I had done better would have been to use more rhetoric. I also hope to get better with clarifying my ideas in my writing so that it can be easier for the reader to understand. I believe this assignment showcased my writing as a first step into college writing because one major change has been writing in APA style.

Here is a link to this reflection:

l

Reflection on Paper 2:

For this paper, I chose a topic that interests me the most in the book, Weapons of Math Destruction. The book explains how social media also advertises and I wanted to look into how it advertises and affects politics. I didn’t want to be very broad and focus on all of the social media platforms so instead, I chose to focus on both Twitter and Facebook being two of the most known platforms discussing politics. I also focused mainly on the 2016 U.S presidential election and on situations that occurred after that. 

I research both negative and positive effects. I learned that many non-voters get information from social media and that sometimes social media might be the only way for them to get involved. I also learned that I was one of those many people, I learn most political information from social media. I learned that social media affects everyone because anyone can use social media and if a candidate or president makes statements on social media, everyone can see. I noticed that the effects balanced out but I personally realize that social media will bring much more non-voters attention or voters who get lazy to vote, to actually go out and vote.

Since this was a research paper it was hard not to put my opinion on it. Something I could have done better would have been, using more rhetoric and definitely using transition words between paragraphs because sometimes I would just start by making a statement rather than using transition words. Adding on, this paper showcases both my writing and learning clearly. I feel like I got better at making my writing more clear and I feel like in this paper I showed it by making straight up pits. I also made sure to use lots of facts from the research I have done so that it would be more reliable and believable. Overall I think I did well while writing this paper although I could have been less bias because I’m sure everyone will be biased when writing a paper about a topic that interests them since they’ll have personal opinions on research done.

Here is a link to this reflection: